Alla fine del ‘200 sull’altura di Sant’Egidio in Vaticano fu creato un orto botanico ricco di piante. Il giardino assunse un grande prestigio al tempo di Innocenzo VIII (Giovan Battista Cybo, 1484-92), quando fu realizzato un grande porticato-belvedere. Paul IV commissioned the initial project of the 'Casina del Boschetto', as it was originally called, from an unknown architect; the first mention of the single-storey building can be found on 30 April 1558, and a notice of the following 6 May, says that the Pope spent 'two thirds of his time at the Belvedere, where he has begun to build a. La prospettiva del cortile era conclusa nel progetto di Bramante da una esedra posta come punto di fuga della prospettiva del grande invaso architettonico e con la funzione di nascondere l'antico Casino del Belvedere che non si integrava con gli allineamenti del nuovo impianto. Giardino e Casino Pontificio del Vaticano (Vasi at work in the Grand View of Rome) Links to this page can be found in Book 10, Day 8, View C2 and Rione Borgo. The page covers: The plate by Giuseppe Vasi Today's view Casino di Papa Pio IV Pinacoteca Vaticana. The Cortile del Belvedere (Belvedere Courtyard or Belvedere Court) was a major architectural work of the High Renaissance at the Vatican Palace in Rome.Designed by Donato Bramante from 1505 onward, its concept and details reverberated in courtyard design, formalized piazzas and garden plans throughout Western Europe for centuries.
Coordinates: 41°54′15″N012°27′09″E / 41.90417°N 12.45250°E
Casino Del Belvedere Vaticano Antiguo
The highly charged Mannerist front of the Casina Pio IV
Location on a map of Vatican City
The Casina Pio IV (or Villa Pia) is a patrician villa in Vatican City which is now home to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences and the Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas. The predecessor of the present complex structure was begun in the spring of 1558 by Pope Paul IV in the Vatican Gardens, west of the Cortile del Belvedere. Paul IV commissioned the initial project of the 'Casina del Boschetto', as it was originally called, from an unknown architect; the first mention of the single-storey building can be found on 30 April 1558, and a notice of the following 6 May, says that the Pope spent 'two thirds of his time at the Belvedere, where he has begun to build a fountain in the woods'.
Upon Paul IV's death on 18 August 1559, Pope Pius IV took on the project, which had not yet been completed, and, turning to Pirro Ligorio, improved it. The complex, as it was completed in 1562, comprised an elliptical cortile, two free-standing portals, and the loggia with its fountain. Rich sculptural stuccos, once supplemented by some fifty ancient Roman sculptures, enliven the exterior (illustration). A team of at least six major painters, including Federico Barocci, Federico Zuccari, and Santi di Tito and their assistants, frescoed the interiors.
The Casina's rich and at times obscure iconographic programme, of the efficacy of baptism, the primacy of the papacy and the welcomed punitive powers of the Church, seems to have been inspired by CardinalCharles Borromeo, nephew of Pius IV, who probably had it in mind as the headquarters for the Academy he was about to found, on 20 April 1562, called Accademia Noctes Vaticanae. Graham Smith suggests that the interrelated iconography of the interior frescoes was inspired by Cardinal Marcantonio da Mula.
Pope Pius XI, the founder of the current Pontifical Academy of Sciences, made the Casina the Academy's current headquarters in 1936.
- ^They are not just as Pirro Ligorio designed them; Graham Smith, The Casino of Pius IV, Princeton, N.J., Princeton University Press, 1977, documents 17th-century restorations, replacements in 1824 and major renovations in 1931–35.
- ^ abSmith 1977.
- ^As examined by Smith 1977.
- Friedländer, Walter (1912). Das Kasino Pius des Vierten. Kunstgeschichtlichen forschungen, 3. Leipzig: Karl W. Hierseman. OCLC803230407. The first modern monograph based on documentation.
- Losito, Maria (2010). The Casina Pio IV in the Vatican. Translated by Gabriella Clare Marino. Vatican City: Pontificia Academia Scientiarum. ISBN978-88-7761-099-7. OCLC955239788.
- Smith, Graham (1977). The Casino of Pius IV. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. ISBN9780691039152. OCLC983924623.
- Partridge, Loren W. (June 1978). 'Review: [Untitled]'. The Art Bulletin. 60 (2): 369–372. doi:10.2307/3049799. JSTOR3049799. An extended critical review, analyzing the iconographic program in detail.
Casino Del Belvedere Vaticano Taormina
- Media related to Casino di Pio IV at Wikimedia Commons
Casino Del Belvedere Vaticano Taormina
Retrieved from 'https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Casina_Pio_IV&oldid=985486214'